Whether you’re a parent, therapist, teacher or you work with young children in another capacity, taking the Massage in Schools Programme (MISP) training will give you some new skills to help make a difference to lives of school-aged children.
What’s the Massage in Schools Programme?
The Massage in Schools Programme (MISP) is a clothed, child-to-child massage programme aimed at children aged 2-12.
The programme was created by Mia Elmsäter from Sweden and Canadian, Sylvie Hetu, as a result of their combined passion to ensure that every child in the world experiences positive, nurturing touch every day.
The MISP is:
- For children 2-12 years old (new module for 2 &and 3 year-olds just launched)
- A back, neck, head and arm massage given by the children, to each other
- Given and received with the child’s permission
- 10-15 minutes daily routine
- An excellent way to help children with additional needs e.g. dyslexia, ADHD, Asperger’s Syndrome
- New module to teach parents how to massage their own children
This course is accredited by Embody CThA (Complementary Therapy Association).
“I would recommend that all parents and those individuals who work with children attend this course – brilliant!
Mother from Norfolk
Benefits of the Massage in Schools Programme
Studies and observations have shown that children experience a variety of benefits as a result of taking part in the MISP. Some of the positive benefits include:
- Children become calmer
- They have improved concentration
- They have more confidence
- Helps children recognise ‘good’ and ‘bad’ touch
- Children develop better motor skills
- Teaches children to respect themselves and others
- Reduces bullying and aggressive behaviour
The 2-Day Massage in Schools Training Covers:
- What’s the Massage in School Programme and where did it come from? – Understanding the background to the programme and why it works
- Why does massage make me feel so good? – The benefits of massage and why children love it so much
- Adding up the numbers – studies and research on the benefits of massage for children
- Growing pains – a practitioner’s guide to child development
- Childhood Challenges – working with children with Special Needs
- Every Child Matters – how to implement the Massage in Schools Programme
- Safe and Secure – understanding Child Protection issues
- Ethical Issues – we’ll give you practical guidance and support to deal with the ethical issues of using the MISP
- Eyeglasses and Butterflies – learning the MISP routines
- Time to Play – creating and using touch games
As part of the course you’ll receive a certificate plus 12 months free membership to the Massage in Schools Association (MISA) – the membership organisation for all graduates of the MISP course – to ensure you continue to get the support you need while delivering the programme.
Massage in Schools Training Dates and Locations
You can join our MISP training at any time of the year at venues across the UK.
We currently run courses in:
- Sutton Coldfield
- Leamington Spa
See a full list of dates and locations for the MISP training to find a course in your area.
Massage in Schools Course Fees:
Our 2-day MISP training costs £330 and includes:
- 2-day intensive instruction and practical work
- Training manual and comprehensive training notes
- The new revolutionary book called ‘Touch in Schools’
- Certificate on completion of the training
- A Lifetime membership with the Massage In Schools Association
- Daily Refreshments
Why Choose Childways for Massage in Schools Training?
Our team of MISP trainers are highly qualified and work across the UK and worldwide. Taking part in our training will give you all the skills and knowledge you’ll need to successfully use the MISP techniques personally and/or professionally.
Thinking About an In-house Massage in Schools Training?
We also offer the MISP training as bespoke, in-house training for public and private sector organisations working with children and families. So if you’re interested in having your staff trained to use the Massage in Schools Programme, we can tailor an in-house training to suit your needs. We ask for a minimum of 8 participants.
Feel free to contact us for more information about Massage in Schools training.